Sunday, April 19, 2009

Reports of issues with the Redriven 20KW Turbines blades

It seems there are a few reports of Redriven 20KW wind turbines breaking off blades during high winds and a few others that almost had the same fate. (See the comment left on my April 4 entry).

Here is what I’ve found:

Back in February, there was a report of a high school with three Redriven turbines that had blades hit the pole and flew off. See this link for more details

http://www.wind-watch.org/news/2009/02/10/blade-breaks-off-wind-turbine/

Here is an account of several more having the same issue.

http://www.windaction.org/news/20716

I contacted Scott Jackson who wrote the report. He said that the 10KW are not having the same issues with the blades breaking up but have had controller issues.

He gave me the name of someone with the 10KW in his back yard. He said this person could tell me about the controller issue first hand. I called him and he said that he did have controller issues, but Redriven took care of the problem by providing a retro fit. They added a resistive load. He has not had the problems since the retrofit. He's not worried about the blade issue and is now thinking of getting a 20KW with a tilt up tower. ( I didn't know 20KW could tilt up). He would then move his 10KW to another site. He said that he can see many wind turbines from his property. During a recent storm, many of turbines in the view from his home lost blades. He hasn’t lost a blade yet.


I also found this article about how Redriven is fixing the issues at Perkins High School.

http://www.morningjournal.com/articles/2009/04/18/news/mj913904.txt

This article says that Redriven is replacing the blades at Perkins High School with an older technology blade and is monitoring now for vibrations.

I would love to hear more from people with first hand experiences with Redriven. Please contact me or post your comments.

*******Update *** 5-30-09 here is another artical on this topic ******

http://www.agrinewsinteractive.com/fullstory.htm?ArticleID=10072&ShowSection=News


******Update ****10-03-09 I found more info on the Perkins School . Here is a news letter tell more details about testing and new blades.
http://www.perkins.k12.oh.us/pages/uploaded_files/Perkins%20United%20Fall%202009%20for%20web.pdf

also a news paper article
http://www.sanduskyregister.com/articles/2009/08/31/front/1582172.txt


UPDATE - May 2010 ****see what Redriven says about new designs

7 comments:

  1. I have a 10kw Redriven system and I had problems with the blades. Redriven has been great fixing the problem. Everyone there exceeded expectations.

    By the way, I have a friend in NY that has a Bergey 10 kw system and he had his blades fly off also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just so you don't think I am a shill for Redriven...the last post is from Rcihard Carpenter; RNC@USVIpensions.com - www.USVIpensions.com.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also have a 10 KW... No major problems. At the bigining I did have problems, but the guys came over and took care of it... Great systems. Check mine out on youtube under Redriven, Domingos, Kingsville.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for Commenting. Your video was one of the first things I saw as I researched Redriven. Thanks for sharing. Do you have any results to share for your output? Wind speed vs. power out? Or even electricity usage before and after? Is there anything you wish you did differently?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its the same problem in Sweden but here is the name Litenvindkraft and they all lose the blade and some tower is also broken

    ReplyDelete
  6. Check out the link below to the Better Business Bureau

    http://www.bbb.org/ottawa/business-reviews/wind-energy-systems/redriven-power-in-iroquois-on-40449

    REDRIVEN NOW HAS AN F (complete failure) RATING!

    This is what they deserve as their product is defective and they refuse to repair or replace mine. (as well as many others)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous, I'm not sure of how the Better Bus. Bureau works, but maybe they could help repair your relationship with Redriven? It seems that Redriven has worked out the software bugs and are repairing the systems that have been down for a long time. Maybe it is not too late to repair your relationship with Redriven and your turbine? It seems you are the only one I've heard of that is not in process of getting repaired. I'm sure they are fixing the easier ones first. That makes sense if you put yourself in their place. Before I purchase the system I read the Paul Gipe books, he makes it pretty clear that wind turbine ownership is not easy - he didn't mention marriage counseling but maybe that is what is needed here?

    ReplyDelete